In the heart of Crete
Located at Georgioupolis bay, halfway between picturesque Chania and historic Rethymno La Mer offers a gateway to Crete’s most scenic little towns, historic venues and stunning beaches.
Distances & Transportation
Points of interest
Explore and discover Crete
The city of Chania consist the headquarter of the municipality and is the second largest city of Crete. It has two main entrance gates: the airport in Akrotiri and the port of Souda. The city of Chania is a crossroads of cultures and continents, with a long history, natural beauties, unique architecture and rich tradition. A trademark of the city of Chania is the Venetian Harbor – in the Old City – with the Egyptian Lighthouse.
Rethymno, the third largest city in Crete, built in the place of ancient Rithymna, retains its Renaissance character and is an important attraction for visitors from all over the world. Rethymno has a special sense, historical and architectural richness as well as one of the best preserved Venetian cities. The most important sights of Rethymno are concentrated in the “old town”, which is worth exploring by walking through the narrow alleys and discovering picturesque corners, architectural treasures, old mansions and other signs of conquerors who have passed from here, such as the Porta Guora, one of the few surviving remnants of the fortification of the city, Agios Frangiskos, Neratze Mosque (Conservatory) and the Historical & Folklore Museum, the Turkish school with its particular architecture, the Venetian Fountain Rimondi, Fortezza, impressive Loggia as well as the Kara Musa Pasha Mosque.
Kavros, where La Mer Resort and Spa is built, is a tourist area on Chania-Rethymno National Road, situated about 41 km east of Chania, 19 km west of Rethymno and just 3 km from Georgioupolis. This is an area with large hotels near the beginning of a 10km long beach that starts from Georgioupolis and ends at Petres, near Rethymno. Kavros is a fine place to stay since it is located near the middle of Crete making it easy to visit most of the sights of the island. Kavros village is very well organised and all the necessary touristic facilities are offered to the visitors. There are shops, mini markets, pharmacies, tavernas, restaurants and bars in the center of the village. Kavros is also a popular tourist destination for the LGBTQ community.
Chania and Crete in general have a large number of unparalleled beauty exotic beaches awarded with the International Quality Award, the famous Blue Flag. The most important and most famous beaches are:
- Elafonissi is about 113 km from La Mer Resort and Spa and you will need up to 2.5 hours to get there.
- The lagoon of Balou is one of the most awarded beaches in Europe (distance: 93km).
- Falasarna has one of the most famous beaches of Crete (distance: 93km).
- Fragokastello is located in Sfakia (distance: 56km).
- Seitan Harbor is a lovely and well hidden beach (distance: 59km).
- Plakias is a popular tourist resort. It is a well-organized beach, ideal for water sports and other activities (distance: 48km).
Ancient – Culture
Chania are known for their long history, which is projected by countless archaeological discoveries. Important sites of archaeological interest are:
- Ancient Aptera is located at a distance of some 34 km from the La Mer Resort and Spa and with breathtaking views over the bay of Souda.
- Lissos is an ancient city between Paleochora and Sougia. It is about 120 km from La Mer Resort and Spa.
- The Minoan palace is Knossos’s main visiting area. It is about 99 km from La Mer Resort and Spa.
- Phaistos is the second most important Minoan city after Knossos. It is about 90 km from La Mer Resort and Spa.
Nature – Routes – Attractions
Chania is the ideal destination for nature lovers. It is rich in rare fauna and flora with exotic and beautiful areas. The most important natural paths of Chania are:
- The Samaria Gorge is the longest gorge of Europe with 18 km long. It is approximately 83 km from La Mer Resort and Spa. The total duration of the trip is 4-8 hours, depending on the pace.
- Lake Kournas is the only freshwater lake in Crete (distance: 8km).
- The Botanical Park of Chania is the only park of the kind in Europe. It is just outside the village of Fournes (distance: 55m).
- One of the most popular places, offering panoramic views of Chania, is the Venizelos Tombs(distance: 46km).
Chania has a large number of historical monasteries. The most important of these are:
- The Holy Trinity Monastery of Tzagarolon. It is located at the foot of the Stavros mountain range (distance from the Resort: 53 km).
- The Gouvernetou Monastery is located on the Akrotiri peninsula (distance: 57 km).
- The Chrysopigi Monastery (distance: 43 km).
- The Holy Monastery of Panagia Gonia is located in the town of Kolymbari (distance: 70 km).
- The Arkadi Monastery is a European Monument of Freedom (distance: 39 km).
- The Preveli Monastery includes two separate monasteries (distance: 46 km).